Sunday, November 9, 2008

Argentina State of Mind

We're off to Buenos Aires in three days, and I'm having fun figuring out what clothes I'll bring. Jim and I like to travel light, so we make something of a game of it. How little can we pack and still have the right clothes for any weather and any activity?

A poster on Fodor's Argentina forum says that it's getting hot in BA. Someone I know who is there now says it's 70's and sunny. A resident advises to 'dress like an onion' - which is what I plan to do. Layers of t-shirts, long-sleeve shirts and light jackets.


I'm also getting in the mood by reading Jorge Luis Borges. I have The Motorcycle Diaries for the plane. And I'm listening to Spanish language tapes - getting used to pronouncing ll and y like zh.


I know of seven other people in Argentina this month. Their tourism board has certainly done a good job. And the weak dollar has helped - though airfare is a killer.


It will be nice to travel for the first time in eight years with the rest of the world feeling a little, maybe even a lot, better about the U.S. after our historic election.


On to the next part of packing - toiletries!

No comments: