Saturday, November 15, 2008

Hopeless in Buenos Aires

Hopeless in tango, that is. Jim let me drag him to a milonga last night (milonga is a dance hall where people dance tango or milonga - a form of tango.) We arrived about 11 pm and lessons (practicas) were still going on. I don't know why we can't follow lessons - we certainly enjoy dancing 'freestyle,' but we were clueless. The instructor even came over to help us out, to no avail. But it was fun to try, and then to watch the real dancers after the lesson.

Later in the evening, I probably did something no Argentine woman would ever do - I essentially asked a man to dance. He started speaking to me in Spanish, which I couldn't understand, but I thought he was asking me to dance. So I got up and led him to the dance floor. We danced briefly (Jim said I did okay; I felt clumsy). When we came back, he explained in halting English that we were sitting at his table, but we could keep it. So the dance was my idea!

4 comments:

PatJack said...

Pat
How funny that you asked the man to dance when all he wanted was his table. I bet he wasn't sorry though.
Have you had any special dinner yet?
I'm so proud of you & Jim for dancing the Tango in Tango country.
Good for you.
Mom

PatJack said...

Hi,Pat&Jim,Glad you are having a good time wish we were there , we saw them tano o a movie last night,it haf Robert duvall .He did pretty good. The figure eight,you must learn it to show us. Have a wunderful time, love Dad.

PatJack said...

redssnPS Did you do the saloon Tango

Geri said...

I'm following your exploits and I'm sitting her laughing at your Tango experience.

Sounds like you're having fun.