Friday, November 14, 2008

Buenos Aires - Centro

Our first full day in BA. We scheduled a walking tour with Buenos Aires Walking Tours, which is run by a British expat and is staffed with other US and UK expats. Our tour guide was from our home state - yes, we New Jerseyans are everywhere. I liked the idea of a native US tour guide because I thought they would understand what we were looking for and be honest about what to do and what not to do. (Which she was.)

We toured Centro, including the "Pink House" which is equivalent to the US White House and where Evita gave her speeches. I can see why they call BA the Paris of the South - the buildings in this area are all French designs by Italian architects. But its definitely got a feel all its own -one minute it reminds me of Mexico and another of Europe - and to me the Latin part wins out.

One thing I don't understand is all the talk on the message boards and even guidebooks about how the portenos dress up - we saw jeans, t-shirts and even flip-flops all day. We're going out for our first nice dinner tonight - we'll see what dinner attire is like.

I'm already getting into the swing of things - we have a dinner reservation at 9 pm, and I'm thinking that's too early. Maybe I'll change it to 10 pm....

3 comments:

PatJack said...

pat and jim

I'm still trying to write to you

PatJack said...

Pat and Jim
Thanx to Geri I think I'm getting to you now.\
I liked the first blog about a drink special for Pat - a true Ambrosio/Rodeawald vacation start.
Happy you have a little of Nj there in the way of a guide. Don't fall asleep before dinner. Can you imagine Dad & I eating at 10? Casey is doing good so far. Michelle said Singapore is beautiful and her trip was fantastic. Coach will be difficult for her to do I think after being served champagne, warm scented towels all nite.
Love ya Mom

PatJack said...

Pat & Jim
Dad and I are getting in the mood with you - he's watching "Assasination Tango" lot's of dancing.
Let us know as soon as you Tango.
Mom